November 22, 2011

Wolf Hall: Set for the Silver Screen



Thanks to Nicole From Linus’s Blanket and Natalie from Coffee and a Book Chick, I just found out that Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel is being developed into a four-part TV miniseries.

Wolf Hall is a work of historical fiction, which documents the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell, the first Earl of Essex, from 1500 to 1535.

The story, which takes place during the reign of Henry VIII, provides a unique take on a well-documented period in England’s history: Henry's divorce from Catherine of Aragon and his subsequent marriage to Anne Boleyn.

Since its publication in 2009, the novel has won both the Man Booker Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award. Hilary Mantel is now working on a sequel entitled Bring Up the Bodies.

At 650 pages, Wolf Hall is a hefty read. If you are thinking of tackling this one, you might like to join in with Nicole and Natalie’s Wolf Hall read-along.

Of course, you may choose to wait for the miniseries, but you will need to be patient. Peter Straughan (of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Men Who Stare At Goats fame) is writing the scripts, which still need to be commissioned by the BBC before pre-production begins.

Have you read Wolf Hall? What did you think?


Some more film adaptations that we are eagerly waiting for:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle, Thanks for stopping by recently and leading me to discover your blog. It looks great and I found out something new about Wolf Hall which I was not aware of. Exciting. I do need to read this book as I have it on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane! You're very welcome - I think your 'First Chapter First Paragraph' series is fantastic. I stopped by a little late this week, but I hope to join in next Tuesday. Thanks for returning the visit.

    ReplyDelete